I thought I’d pop in with a quick blog post before Thanksgiving to help y’all out! I received a few comments on Instagram from friends saying they had pinned my family’s chocolate pie recipe from the old Every Day Cheer blog, and now that the blog is no longer up and running, they were bummed that they didn’t have access to the recipe.
So! I thought I’d post my Aunt Susan’s Chocolate Pie recipe here on my personal blog. This recipe is my all-time favorite dessert. It’s super simple, but I can remember absolutely loving it as a kid and no chocolate pie matching up to the goodness of this pie! The little index card that my mom wrote the recipe on says “Susan’s Chocolate Pie” because my Aunt Susan always made it for Christmas.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 large can of evaporated milk
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 square of bittersweet chocolate
- Roll out pie crust and place in a pie plate
- Cook the pie crust according to package directions
- Combine sugar, cocoa and flour in a medium size pot and stir
- Add the evaporated milk, vanilla, egg yolks and chocolate and put over medium heat
- Mix and stir constantly until the pie filling thickens (keep the egg yolks from scrambling)
- Pour pie filling into the cooked pie crust
- Refrigerate for two hours
- Top with real whipped cream
We’ll have it for Thanksgiving this week and then I’ll probably make it again at Christmas. I hope you all enjoy! And don’t forget the real whipped cream!